Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Vomiting mucus in the morning, smells like alcohol. Chronic cough, weight loss

my husband is a heavy drinker, he drinks vodka 4-5 times a week. he vomits mucus every morning about 20 min after he gets up out of bed. he smells like alcohol even when he isn t drinking. it seems to be coming from his skin. I am worried he has some serious internal problems but we have no health coverage. he also has a chronic cough and smokes about a pack of cigarettes a day. he has also lost some weight
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  248
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Alcohol abuse is a disease that can have significant impact on the person involved and family members.
Alcohol can affect the liver, cause heart diseases, pancreatitis, bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract. It is also associated with some cancers and brain disease.
In light of the history of smoking, the chronic cough may be a consequence of this smoking history.
In terms of the lungs, smoking can cause COPD and lung cancer.

There are other causes of chronic cough such as sinusitis, GERD or asthma but because of the smoking history the more likely causes would have to be ruled out first.

There are free programs that help with alcohol and smoking addition, you can determine whether any exist in your area.
There are also online programs.

I hope this helps
Answered: Thu, 24 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Mayank Bhargava's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
With the available described information, there could be possibility of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or bronchiectasis induced by heavy smoking.
His condition is also worsening speedily because of drinking alcohol.
You should consult with internal medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also take opinion from deaddiction centre for quitting smoking and alcohol intake.
His condition need admission in hospital and should take proper treatment.
He should go for complete hemogram, liver function test and chest x ray.
Until unless he will leave smoking and alcohol intake, his condition won't improve.
take care,
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Thu, 24 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor