Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Vomiting after eating, heart burn. Family history of gastroparesis, GERD and IBS

for over 6 mos my 28yr old unemployed daughter has to go to the bathroom soon after she eats anything. She is throwing up almost every morning. Took her to ER in Jan and all major organs ok and not pregnant. Today her vomit has a very pungent acrid smell that permates thru the house. ER says she needs to see a Gastro, but I am on SSI - disabled and she is not working. I have stomach problems that started at her age - gastroparisis, illeus, gerd, ibs, heartburn ect. She has been having ibs and heartburn for years already.
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  82
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

From this background I think she may be suffering from:
1. Any upper GI tract pathology like Achalasia Cardia, some GI obstruction
2. gastroparesis
3. Psychogenic or cyclical vomiting

I have kept these three differential because there are many things which you have not mentioned otherwise diagnosis would have been narrowed like :
1.Whether any alarming features like weight loss, fever, loss of apetite, any blood in vomitus
2. Lapse of time between taking meals and vomiting
3. Whether it is associated with semisolid food or with liquid or with both
4. Whether this vomiting is self induced or not

Recurrent vomiting every morning since last 6 months need to be investigated in the form of:
1.Some blood investigations like thyroid profile, Serum calcium and blood sugar
2 Endoscopy examination
3.And depending on the above investigation may be manometry or scintigraphy if no lesion is found on endoscopy and there are alarming symptoms as I have mentioned above to confirm diagnosis of gastroparesis

So I will like to advise to visit a gastroenterologist and meanwhile upload all the queries I have asked

Moreover meanwhile for treatment She can take antiemetic agent like ondansetron and a prokinetic agent like itopride, keep hydration well. Rest treatment will depend on evaluation only

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch.
Answered: Sat, 6 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

General & Family Physician Dr. Arun Kumar's  Response
she needs to investigated for bowel pathology ... prefer a upper gi endoscopy, at earliest ... and best one ... for timing being she can have antacids and bland diet ...
Answered: Tue, 2 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor