Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Voice like girl. How to cure it ?

I am harish my voice like girl how can cure it and give some medicine to take
Asked On : Fri, 21 Jan 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  266
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Dear Harish, A person who sings is called a singer or vocalist.I am surprised a professional is suggesting to consult a vocalist for voice therapy. Singers themselves consult speech language pathologist for their voice problem. Your problem is called puberphonia. It's management need team effort where ENT will do laryngoscopy/stroboscopy to find any medical problem and speech language pathologist/speech therapist will give voice therapy.

Sanjay kumar
B.Sc.(Hons) speech and Hearing,AIIMS Delhi
M.Sc.Speech Language Pathology,AIISH Mysore
Speech Language pathologist/Speech Therapist and Audiologist
Answered: Thu, 24 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

ENT Specialist Dr. Naveen Kumar's  Response
Hi Harish,

You need to consult a phonosurgeon I suppose. There are no medicines to cure this. It needs thorough evaluation of your vocal cords and thyroid cartilage. Also, you will require psychotherapy and voice therapy. Please do contact Dr. Jayakumar, KIMS hospital, Trivandrum or Dr. K.K. Handa from delhi. They are good at it.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
Answered: Fri, 21 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful
ENT Specialist Dr. Sanjay Kumar's  Response
Dear Harish

First consult a Speech Language Pathologist/Speech Therapist.If voice therapy does not work than you can go for phonosurgery.

During puberty in males the mass and length of the vocal fold increase and the pitch decreases. Few of the people although having the appropriate vocal fold mass and length after the puberty, but they are not able to switch to the new low pitch voice (male like).Mostly its reason can be usually long time habits from childhood, speaking into a high pitch voice. In this case only thin edges of vocal cords vibrates and also the whole length of the vocal cord does not vibrate.

Puberphonia can be very easily treated by voice therapy (vocal exercises) given by speech language pathologist/speech therapist. Duration mostly can be 1-2 week sometime more and that also needs expertise in voice therapy of the therapist. For details please click on:"".

Who are the speech language pathologist /Speech therapist?
These are the professionals trained for the assessment and treatment of all kinds of communication disorders. They should have the following qualification:
B.Sc. (Hons )Speech and Hearing/B.Sc. Speech and Hearing/Bachelor in Audiology and speech language Pathology(BASLP)
M.Sc. Speech language pathology/M.Sc. speech and hearing/ MASLP
Certified by Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) to work in India
Although in India bachelor degree holders are also eligible to work as speech language pathologist/ speech therapist, but in developed countries like US minimum requirement is master degree. DHLS is diploma course in the field of speech and hearing and these professional are trained to work as speech therapist assistant/audiologist assistant. They are not speech therapist or audiologist and they can only work under the supervision of speech language pathologist/speech therapist/audiologist.

Sanjay kumar
Speech Language pathologist and Audiologist
An AIIMS Delhi and AIISH Mysore Alumnus

Answered: Wed, 23 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor