Varicose Veins and Blood Clots

I have had a slight case of varicose veins on my lower left leg for many years with no detrimental effects. An ultrasound blood test show that I have deep vein blood clots. Hematologist says I should take Enoxaparin 80 mg subcutaneously every 12 hrs. for the rest of my life. Am interested in possible differing opinions as well as those that agree.
Tue, 4 Mar 2014
's  Response
If you've seen a Hematologist and he/she has recommended Lovenox, then you've got a hypercoagulable disorder that makes you prone to blood clots. Not being on an anticoagulant greatly increases your risk of stroke, loss of a limb or death. I am a bit surprised that warfarin (an oral anti-coagulant) isn't suggested, but the hematologist is the expert on clotting problems and I'd go with the recommendation. You varicose veins likely had little to do with the problem, as they are superficial, not deep veins. However, clots in the superficial veins can, over time,cause varicose veins.