Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

124 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Varicose Veins and Blood Clots

I have had a slight case of varicose veins on my lower left leg for many years with no detrimental effects. An ultrasound blood test show that I have deep vein blood clots. Hematologist says I should take Enoxaparin 80 mg subcutaneously every 12 hrs. for the rest of my life. Am interested in possible differing opinions as well as those that agree.
Tue, 4 Mar 2014
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
  User's Response
If you've seen a Hematologist and he/she has recommended Lovenox, then you've got a hypercoagulable disorder that makes you prone to blood clots. Not being on an anticoagulant greatly increases your risk of stroke, loss of a limb or death. I am a bit surprised that warfarin (an oral anti-coagulant) isn't suggested, but the hematologist is the expert on clotting problems and I'd go with the recommendation. You varicose veins likely had little to do with the problem, as they are superficial, not deep veins. However, clots in the superficial veins can, over time,cause varicose veins.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....