Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Uterus pain, stopped birth control pill. Had abnormal PAP smear showing risk for HPV. Worried about cervical cancer

Im 19 and last year had.a adnormal pap showing hpv ,,i had another pap recently showing high risk hpv, I had Other std perform becaus i started having cramps after period ( which i never had)nd they came back negative. But i had a discharge they told me it was bacteria infection...the antibiotics they gave me caused yeast infection and i was given a pill. But ive been.experincing pain in uterus (and discomfort simular to cramps but dull),,sharp pains that happen with cergain movements and after sex,,my doctors arent helping and keep charging me but giving me little answers. Ive never had sharp pains like this without being on menstral cycle. Also i recently came off birth control two months ago,,i have a heavy period again and i have it regularly every lost i was worried about cervical cancer ...i know its not std but whats causing these pains...? Please Help.
Asked On : Sun, 2 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  107
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine 's  Response
Hello vandreadavis,
Thank you for writing in.
HPV is a sexually transmitted viral infection. Normally, before the age of 30 years, it resolves itself but if it doesn't by 1 year then some action is required especially since you show evidence of high risk HPV for cervical cancer.
I would suggest that you visit a Colposcopist in your area who can use highly magnified images to look at the cervix and in case any abnormal areas are found a biopsy may be taken. Simple cryo or freezing techniques can be used to destroy HPV infected areas.
The symptoms that you describe - discharge, heavy period, pain, painful sex indicate a pelvic infection and you will need appropriate antibiotics + antifungal + anti anaerobic bacterials; all under the supervision of your doctor. If its not very bad, this can be done on Out Patient basis. Sometimes it may require admission.
Very clearly you have an STD (sexually transmitted disease).
Sex has 2 consequences - pregnancy and infections. Birth control pills will protect you from a pregnancy but you simply MUST use additional condom for protection against STDs. In fact, a scientific study in Nigeria showed that when teenagers are taught to 'Say NO to sex' the chances of having STD and HIV/AIDS decreased.
May i suggest that you vist the specialist again to discuss these issues, get blood and other tests done and some treatment. Also discuss vaccination against Cancer Cervix.
Till you are completely alright, abstain from sex.
At this moment you DO NOT have cancer, probably only HPV (and other infections to be ruled out) which can be treated easily but let your fear guide you to more sensible decisions in the future.
All the best.
Answered: Thu, 13 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor