Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Urine is not in control, please tell me what is the problem?

Dear Doctor, My father in law aged 73 about one and half months his urine is not in control and he is facing too much problem. He passed urine in day or night and not wiling to change the sheet or cloths,presently the same with the stool even he can eat the food while wet with urine or having fa ecus in his cloths,please guide me, which doctor will b beneficiary for him either neurologist or psychiatric? My father in law is 73 years old and staying GK Delhi alonge with his wife aged 69.will you please tell me what is the problem with him and how it can be cured as the earliest? ajay agarwal
Asked On : Mon, 11 Apr 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  109
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
Dear Mr Agarwal,

From the description here, it seems your father-in-law may be showing signs of Dementia (most probably Alzheimer's Disease) as well as BPSD (Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia). Dementia is a progressive condition of the brain. It involves loss of functions of a number of important brain areas and there is an over all reduction in the size of the brain, too.

You may need to consult a Neurologist and a Psychiatrist. The combined approach will help him with the symptoms of Dementia as well as the behavioral problems. The clinical evaluation will help you and the doctors understand the severity of the condition and diagnose any additional problems.

As mentioned above, Dementia is a progressive condition. This means the damage to the nerve cells in his brain (central nervous system) will be on going. There are a few medicines that can help him slow down the progress of the illness, but it is expected to progress further. You may need to make arrangements for a caretaker for him, as his wife is also aged, and may not be able to take care of him alone. It has been a common observation that the caretakers of Dementia and BPSD patients show signs of burn-out frequently.

I hope this helps a bit. And I wish you good luck with the process. Please let us know if you need more help. Take care.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD
Answered: Mon, 11 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Rajesh's  Response
Mam/sir, your father in law has a neurological problem, it is common in older people, they become like children loose control over there bladder and bowel, i would request you to use adult diapers just like you would use in children, and take him to a neurologist.
Answered: Mon, 11 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

ENT Specialist Dr. Puneet Maheshwari's  Response
yoiur father is law need psychiatric as well as neurologist consulktaition so try to consult these doctors and he should relax and take some medication which was contiuing earlier and well u can use adlt diaper whcih are availabl ein the market
so dont take tension he will be fine soon
Answered: Fri, 15 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor