Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Upper hard palate small, keeps getting bigger. Anything to worry ?

My upper hard palate is small and sometimes it seems it got bigger, then back to its usual small size. At one time, I almost thought it would magically totally shrink away (but it didn`t). Anyway, I woke-up this morning and my upper hard palate seem to be larger than it s size before and feeling swollen/tender. Eating or drinking water is difficult because of its sensitivity. I am not sick or anything. do I need to consult a doctor or a dentist?
Mon, 25 Feb 2013
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
get yourself examined. palate gets swollen due to pus ( abscess). your body's immunity makes it become small or large.
platal abscess is usually caused due to infection from a carious upper tooth, the treatment of which could vary from root canal to extraction along with antibiotics an painkillers , so please go to a dentist as soon as possible.
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
According to the history it suggests there is infection in the palate may be leading to formation of abscess which might develop and subside by itself . It could be a palatal tori as well which is a bony over growth which might have got infected.
I would advise you to see your dentist and get a clinical examination done to rule out the exact cause for the infection , a course of antibiotic and analgesics should be taken .
Hope this information helps you.
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Thanks for sharing your concern with us
This growth takes the form of a hard lump which will grow slowly over time. Patients may opt to have a torus removed if it makes them feel uncomfortable or interferes with eating and speech. An ear, nose, and throat surgeon can perform the surgery to remove the torus.
You can contact me directly through my profile.
Dr Neha Gupta.
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hello and welcome,
After reading your history i can suspect you hard palate is inflammed and has developed swelling.
because of the swelling , hard palate appears smaller or shallower.
Inflammation can be due injury to the palatal mucosa , mechanical or chemical injury , allergies due to food products , sore food stuffs , hot or spicy foods .
INflammation of minor salivary gland may lead to palatal swelling.
Ulceration caused due to viral infections like herpes.
xerostomia leading to bacterial or fungal infections of the palatal mucosa.
exact diagnosis can be made only by clinical examination so get it evaluated by a dentist.
Meantime you can use antiseptic mouth wash like betadine or chlorhexidine for oral rinsing.
apply dentogel ointment over the palatal mucosa will give relief.
i hope this helps,
take care.
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend.
thanks for sharing your concern.

yes you are right ,you must go and visit a dentist.there could be various reasons for your palatal swelling.a few are here

1.palate gets swollen due to palatal abscess.this could be due to infection from a carious tooth.

2.sometimes it could be chemical or mechanical injury,or some allergies to any food products. could be a palatal tori which has got infected.

4.some viral etiology could also be there.

so,i would suggest you to get yourself examined once.for this you require an opg and clinical evaluation must help.
meanwhile maintain oral hygiene adequately.
after consultation you can start analgesic and antibiotic too.

I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. HARISH GUPTA's  Response
Please get your self examined by Dentist first and then by ENT if dentist suggest. May be infected by Upper post. teeth ? or swelling in Palate....
The dentist may suggest for Xray or OPG but bitewing X ray iwll be more help flu.
Your dentist will guide you further examination.
Thank you
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

  User's Response
as you said you have swelling in your is because of palatal is very painfull immediately consult your dentist and go for xray for correct diagnosis.for immidiate relief dntist will drain the pus.if any of your tooth is infected go for proper treatment.
take care
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor