Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Unprotected sex, getting headache, fever, sweating, body pain, tiredness. HIV? Which test should be done?

Hi, I m a male 25, I had an unprotected vaginal sex with an sex worker a month ago. I have undergone HIV antibody test 2 times from the date of exposure. But I am aware I need to wait for 3 months and do a re-test. Now from past 2 weeks, I am having symptoms like headache , fever in the evening time, sweating, body pain, tiredness all the time.. I am worried about my health now. Can you suggest me which test I ca perform now to detect HIV status
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  189
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
HIV AIDS Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM.

For the ordinary HIV Antibody test or ELISA, you have to wait and repeat the same after 3 months and even after this period if you are negative for HIV you will be well assured that you are not having HIV Disease. If you can go for HIV DNA PCR Test, you will be certain about your HIV status now itself.

Your symptoms of head ache, fever, body pain, tiredness not necessarily due to HIV . May be due to ordinary FLU or any other infection of your upper respiratory tract.
So don't worry and get your DNR PCR done and become cheerful.
Avoid unprotected sex here afterwards.
Good luck to you.
Dr SM.
Answered: Wed, 22 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Shanthi.E's  Response

You may consider getting an RT- PCR test done or also a P 24 antigen assay done now. Both are sensitive.

Hope this helps you.

Answered: Wed, 22 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor