Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Unprotected intercourse. Brown/red spotting, cramping in lower abdomen. Pregnancy test negative. Pregnant?

I had unprotected intercourse around the time i was ovulating. 6 days later i had brown/ red spotting on and off for a few days, I have had cramping on the right side of my lower abdomen for about 10 days and now my period is 7 days late. I took a pregnancy test yesterday which came back negative....what are the chances of me being pregnant? I dont have any other signs. Thanks :)
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response
Mar 2016

First of all, you should undergo one blood test for beta-HCG and TVS scan to confirm/ exclude pregnancy at the earliest. Some times early brown spotting and late period may indicate implantation bleeding.

Other reasons are hormonal imbalance, vaginal infection, stress/ anxiety, thyroid problem, weight gain/ extreme loss, irregular eating habits, psychological factor etc.

Need to investigate properly to pin point the diagnosis by complete hormone assay, thyroid profile, blood sugar & prolactin level, vaginal swab test etc. Consult with your gynecologist for proper guidance and medication.

Avoid stress/ tension, take healthy diet with Vitamin & iron supplements, control body wt, maintain genital hygiene and take sound sleep.

Be well and take care.
Answered: Sat, 6 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

OBGYN Dr. Shanti Vennam's  Response
Since you had an unprotected intercourse during the fertile period and then missed your period, you should suspect pregnancy. The spotting seen could be an implantation bleed. A pregnancy test taken at this stage should have been positive. Failure to show up properly depends on the technique of performing the test and the kit itself. You can repeat the test after a couple of days with an early morning fresh sample of urine or better still, go for a serum beta-hCG measurement followed by a trans-vaginal sonogram. See your health care provider for further advice. Take care.
Answered: Sat, 6 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor