Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Underwent carpal tunnel surgery, numbness in fingers solved after surgery, cold forearms, burning and pain in arms. Is this complex regional pain?

Hi, I underwent carpal tunnel surgery last year in Aug. The tingling and numbness in the fingers went away after the surgery. However post surgery my hand used to swell a lot and it too till dec to even be able to open the hand out completely. Most of the other symptoms have not gone. the below are the symtoms i still have cold forearms and upper palm Burning and excrutiating pain radiates up the center of the forearm and into the shoulder Overall decreasing grip strength in the hand - around 2kgs only when working on the computer the hand hurts a lot, the part of the lower forehand hurts very very much, leaving me stopping and massaging the hand, hand goes limp and very weak Extremely Weak hands and limited ability to cut vegetables, brush my teeth, comb my hair, carry a full cup of tea. Finger pain, finger numbness and/or finger clumsiness particularly in the thumb and/or in the index or middle fingers. Constant aching of the upper shoulder and neck. The doctors say it is complex regional pain syndrome however I feel there is something that has not been investigated but I do not know what to do and who to ask
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  376
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
the 1st thing to question would be the initial diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. did you have nerve conduction studies to prove the diagnosis? did your symptoms improve at all following surgery?

there are other diseases that can affect you upper limbs in this way such as degenerative changes in your neck and nerve compression. have you had an MRI scan of your neck?

the most important thing to do is to communicate your ongoing symptoms to your dr and specialist and ask them to investigate further.

CRPS is a possibility. this can be treated but takes sometime to get better. a team approach I a required between Physio, OT, the surgeon and the pain doctor to get the symptoms under control.

beat wishes

Answered: Tue, 1 Apr 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor