Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Undergone treatment for depression, not yet cured. How to get rid off it?

hi doctor, i am a female ,26 yrs old. i have been having the symptoms of depression for about 4 years. have been under treatment for 6 months and stopped medication . even while under medication i didnt feel any cure and its severe now such a way i cannot take it anymore. i cry every night for simple reasons and stay awake whole night. i was in hospital for DSH once.. i cant control my emotions. i am short tempered and moody often. i feel like hiding in the darkness. break things in anger. i get hurt from people i love most. even a single word is enough to ruin my days. how could u help me?
Asked On : Sun, 16 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  18
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for your query. Effective treatment of depression requires 6-12 months of being compliant to medication. Several groups of effective anti-depressants are available today. Hence, if one does not work we have other options with us. In addition psychotherapy techniques like cognitive behavioural therapy can be tried. Hence, no need to lose hope. I would suggest you to again consult your psychiatrist, review your treatment records and try an alternate treatment after discussion. You might also require an assessment of your personality profile in addition to the above. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar Gnanavel
Answered: Thu, 3 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Srikanth Reddy's  Response
Hello Angeljhon!
I understand what you are going through. Stopping medications are not the right option. There are plenty of drugs available in the market today for depression and if some drug is not helping you, sure some other drug will help you. in short you should make frequent visits to your psychiatrist so that he or she may try changing the doses or medications for you. It has been scientifically stated that, the response is better if one seeks drugs along with talk-therapy. You should request your psychiatrists to consider your for some psychotherapy sessions. Even CBT can help to a large extent. From the description you have given it appears that you having some personality problems as well and you should seek therapies for it.
Thanks for choosing Health care magic!
Have a nice day!
Answered: Sun, 16 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor