Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Undergone thyroidectomy, taking Eltroxine. Drowsiness, headache, varying blood pressure. What to do?

plz my mother undergoes subtotal thyroidectomy and she is taking eltroxine 3 years ago ..lately she suffered drowsiness and headeach ...her blood pressure greatly changes through out the day ...the maximum systolic was 155 over 88 ...i want to know what should i do after doing another t3 t4 tsh investigation ...?? i heared that there are types of this eltroxine made in saudi arabia manufactured by glaxosmithkline and i think she is taking this one and another made in germany which is more potent and devoid of common side efffects is this true ?? thxxxxxxxx in advance
Mon, 2 Dec 2013
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi there,

Thanks for your query.

1. Blood pressure varies every minute, depending on whether the person is at complete rest or exerting. Take her BP reading as soon as she wakes up in the morning (called Basal BP). If it is >130/85, diagnosis of high blood pressure is made. At least 3 raised basal BP readings, taken on different days, are diagnositic of hypertension.

2. Drowsiness and headache may be due to either, inadequate dose of Eltroxin; or, mental stress/anxiety/depression.

3. Repeat her Free T3, Free T4 and TSH (which is more sensitive than conventional test). Dose adjustment would be done, if required, by her treating doctor. TARGET OF TSH : levels between 1 and 2.0

3. If TSH is within target range, a regular course of a suitable anti-depressant + anti-anxiety drug will give her tremendous relief.

4. Both companies are reputed ones, and the tablets are alike. Eltroxin tablets of different doses are available in the market.

Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me, order required tests, and- based on the reports- will prescribe suitable/modified treatment as advised.

In case of any further queries, revert back to me THROUGH DIRECT PREMIUM QUERY (Paid), addressed to me personally. You will receive- almost immediately- my response in great details.

If you find my response helpful and informative, do not forget an “excellent” (5-star rating) to my answer, to ENCOURAGE all doctors- engaged in social service- to render sound advice to the FREE queries.

Fond regards and have a nice day

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor