Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Unable to do daily work on being upset. Worry about things. Why does it happen?

I feel down a lot, i ve noticed that over the past 15 years or so, when i experience upset, it feels like i shut down. i can t function, i just sit on my bed for hours and i dont know what happens to me. I feel as though i struggle to cope with every day things. i have to force myself to have a bath or even get out of bed. i wake up feeling anxious and i constantly worry about things. Please can you help me understand what is fgoing on with me?
Asked On : Mon, 21 May 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  25
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi Reema,
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for your question.

Some of the symptoms which you have described such as feeling down and low, lack of interest / initiative, constant worrying and inability to carry out your daily functioning may be indicative of depression. However, you need to clarify how long such symptoms last... i.e. do they last for days or weeks together and come as episodes or whether you feel this way only for very brief time periods and only as a response to stressful / upsetting situations.
If you have been experiencing symptoms for many days or weeks together and coming as episodes, then it is more likely that you are having a depressive disorder, for which you need to seek help from a psychiatrist and if your symptoms are quite disabling, then you may need to take medication.
If on the other hand, your symptoms are a reaction to stressful situations and they do not last long, then you may need help regarding stress management. There are various forms of psychological / talking therapies which can help you deal with your stress, help you handle it in a healthier manner and also help you acquire better coping strategies and skills.
I feel that since you feel that the symptoms are disabling and causing you distress, you should not hesitate to seek professional help.

Wish you all the best.

-Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Mon, 21 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor