Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Ultrasound shows hypoechoic areas on endometrium. Family history of uterine cancer. Would it hurt to wait? Have pain in side

My ultrasound found hypoecloic areas on endometrium and a 14mm lining. My doctor wants to wait 2 cycles. But, my mom had uterine cancer at this age. First what does the above mean, would it hurt to wait 2 months? Also, what usually would be the next test. Oh, my last period was weird. It was 15 days long(my usual is 6) and I had sharp pains in my ovaries that caused me to stop for a minute until the pain subsided (happened twice). After my period was over; I have had a dull pain on my right side that occasionaly had sharp pains like pinches that is sometimes on my left side as well. Thanks Sheri
Asked On : Tue, 25 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  59
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Mar 2014
Hello Sheri and welcome,

I completely understand your concern about the thick uterine lining.

A heavy period may be due to the thick lining.

However please do not feel so much concerned. The commonest cause of this is endometrial hyperplasia due to hormonal imbalances. So these are easily treatable. Please do not worry as even if it is a cancer it is generally limited to the uterus and can be treated.
The next tests to see what is causing the thick lining is a hysteroscopy or a D and C. With these a tissue biopsy is collected from the endometrium and examined under a microscope to look for abnormalities. Most of the time it is hyperplasia and can be treated with progesterones. The final management depends upon the results of the biopsy. Other tests that can be done if a cancer is suspected are a CA 125 test. This is raised in most [ but not all] cases of uterine cancer. So you may get it done if you want.

I understand you concern but as of now, just get a biopsy done. It will most likely be a hyperplasia and can be treated with progesterone.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist
Answered: Thu, 1 May 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor