Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Ultrasound showed follicules on ovaries, physiologic free fluid, benign polycystic. Is this the cause of excess body hair and acne?

hello, I just had a endovaginal ultrasound with tissue characterization. I m a female, 30 years old and I have excess body hair and acne . The results show that I have multiple subcentimetric peripherally located follicules on both ovaries and one dominant follicle of 1.5cm as well as small amount of physiologic free fluid. Left ovary is 3.4x2.4x2.3 cm and right is 3.4x1.3x3 cm. Overall the ovaries are not significally enlarged however they do have an appearance of beign polycystic. Can that result be the cause of my problems? Also, all my blood test are OK. So my doctor told me that there is nothing to worry about and that my results are normal. So, what can I do to reduce my excess body hair(face, breast, abdomen) and acne?
Sat, 19 Apr 2014
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Hi, your ultrasound results are suggestive of a common condition called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Excess body hair on the face, breasts and abdomen is medically called Hirsutism. Hirsutism and acne are common complaints in this syndrome. This is as a result of hormonal imbalances leading to rise in male hormone- testosterone in the body. As there is conversion of normal body hormones into testosterone in body fat, I would suggest weight loss as the first step, especially if you are overweight. Secondly, you should take anti-testosterone drugs like Krimson-35 which would not only help reduce further abnormal hair growth and acne but also help regularise your cycles. Oral Contraceptive Pills are also another option for the same. To get rid of the body hair already present you can go for temporary methods like waxing, depilation or permanent methods like Laser removal. Also i would suggest regular follow up with your gynaec.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor