• question-icon

UTI during postpartum. Prescribed macrobid, citrofloxacin. Symptoms still persist. Permanent cure?

Hi there, I am 10 weeks postpartum. I have been to a walkin clinic twice now since the birth of my daughter on November 3rd due to urinary tract infections . On November 29th, I was prescribed Macrobid for 7 days. The frequent need to urinate and the pain lifted but I continued to have cloudy urine . I returned to the walkin clinic on January 15th and I was prescribed citrofloxacin to be taken twice daily for 7 days. I have now finished the prescription and my urine is still as cloudy as it was on the 15th minus the extreme pain during urination and the urge to have to urinate all the time. The pain on the 15th was worst than in November. I get very dull achy cramps in my rib area during the night as well. Why has this not cleared up and what should my next step be?
Tue, 29 Jan 2013
Welcome to HCM,
UTI is sometimes tricky to treat as notorious and resistant organism cause the infection. The most common organisms are E.Coli and it is advisable to get a culture and sensitivity testing and take proper antibiotics for sufficiently long duration to eradicate infection.
Simple measures like taking plenty of fluid and water.
In some cases re infection can occur due to various causes like obstruction to urinary tract by stricture or stone in the tract,and not ignore personal hygiene and short length of urethra in females.
Please see a good Urologist and get urine culture and sensitivity and Ultrasonography and if required a cystoscopy and treatment accordingly.
Rarely atypical infection like tuberculosis may be cause?
If you follow proper treatment you will be cured soon.
Please take care
Good Luck.