Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Type 2 diabetes, obese, fluctuating BP. What is the recommended diet to lose weight, control sugar levels?

Hello Sir, My husband has been recently diagnosed with Type II Diabetes . The tests that he had taken confirmed that for past 3 months his sugar levels have been at 195. He is also little bit obese at 95 kilos. He has been advised to avoid sugar completely and have controlled diet and loose weight. His BP also fluctuates a lot. Sir, kindly advise on the diet that he needs to follow and also is it advisable to use products like Metaslim like products to reduce weight.
Asked On : Sat, 11 Aug 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  35
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Diabetologist 's  Response
hello pallaviinc,

since your husband has been recntly detected of having type 2 diabetes mellitus and is obese .
he needs to be very strict on his weight loss targets.
its not advisable to use any weightloss products unless prescribed by your physician.
as far as diet goes ,he can reduce all the oily stuff and stop fast food stuff.
he can have more vegetables and cereals.he can increase more protien intake.
he can have small portion of meals for multiple times daily.....
he also needs to exercise daily for 45 to 50 minutes ..
if he follows this regularly his bp and sugars will be under control....
you need to consult a dietitican for more detailed diabetic diet bcos diet is also prescribed taking in account of your husbands likes and dislikes...
feel free to ask if you have any queries

dr vikrant tari
diabetologist and insulin pump specialist
Answered: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Michelle Gibson James's  Response
Hi welcome to health care magic

Type 2 diabetes occurs when there is resistance to the action of insulin. As the weight increases the resistance to insulin and there fore the blood sugars also increase.

Weight loss will improve blood sugar and blood pressure control, as well as cause an improvement in cholesterol if this is also a problem.

Reducing carbohydrate intake will reduce his blood sugars and also help with weight loss. He should increase the portions of vegetables and/or 'not too sweet' fruits that he eats with his meals and reduce the portion of rice/pasta/baked goods/potato/sweet potato/bread.
Use salads (minus the dressing)- lettuce, cucumber have few calories.

Avoid fried foods and reduce consumption of high calorie cakes and pastries.
Drink alot of water, some persons when trying to lose weight will drink a glass of water before there meals to reduce the amount of food eaten.
Replace any unhealthy snacks.
Reduce tv and computer time because time spent sitting , it time not spent being active.
Don't skip any meals, when we skip meals we tend to overeat later.
Reduce the use of sodas.
Reduce consumption of alcohol.

Start a exercise program, choosing a form of activity that is liked so that he is more likely to do it. Exercise will help in the control of the diabetes, hypertension.

I hope this information is helpful to you, you should speak to your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist for more detailed advice or join your local diabetic association.

Answered: Sun, 12 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor