Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Two top teeth swollen, yellowish/red, hole present, jaw sore. How to cure?

On the top set of my teeth , near the front two, on the left side, it was swollen and sort of white. This has happened before but I ve never thought it was anything to be worried about. It was swollen for about three days. Yesterday the swelling was gone, but now there s a small hole in that area. It s a little sore. I tried to get a look at it using a mirror and it seems to be yellowish/red. I can feel either a hole or at least a small opening in that area when I run my tongue against it. I also have had a weird sore feeling under my chin/jaw area on the left side, I m not sure if that s related or not. It s sore both when I move around and push upwards on it to feel the area. Please help!
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013
Answers:  8 Views:  69
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for choosing HCM forum.

YOUR two front teeth are affected with dental caries which has progressed into periapical area causing peiapical abscess.
Please do visit a dentist and get clinical examination.x-ray of the affected area will reveal the extent of infection.
Depending on the severity of infection,tooth has to be ROOT CANAL TREATED.
ALSO GET YOUR LEFT JAW AREA checked to find out any impacted infected tooth associated.
If so,get it treated.
Take medicines as per dentist's prescription.

Answered: Wed, 20 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
Hi and welcome,
According to your history i can suspect your upper two teeth have infected either by dental caries or some kind of perapical lesion.
Infected teeth presents with pain, sensitivty ans swelling due to involvement of dental pulp or nerve tissue inflammation know as PULPITIS.
The small openings you can see is the access to the root canal , it must have exposed the dental nerve which leads to pain and sensitivity.
i would suggest you to get an OPG radiograph done which will show the upper infected teeth and lower jaw and chin area which is discomforting you.
Approach a dentist and get the root canal treatment done for your upper teeth which will subside the symptoms permanently, and get the lower teeth evaluated.
i hope this helps,
take care.
Answered: Wed, 20 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
Presence of swelling which has lead to a hole formation in the upper front teeth is suggesting of formation of peripaical abscess which is draining into the gum .
As you said you have soreness even in the lower teeth it suggests there is occulsal trauma which has lead to the pulpal trauma which has lead to infection .
It can be due to the over bite or any high point on the tooth surface .
Get an x-ray done and see your dentist to rule out the extent of infection and this has to be treated by RCT followed by a course of antibiotics and analgesics.
Hope this information helps you.
Answered: Thu, 21 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
It seems that you have got some infection in the the root of your tooth.
Root abscess might have formed and it bursted open giving rise to hole like opening at the site.
Consult Dentist and get examined.
A course of antibiotic medicine will cure your problem.
Follow the instructions given by dentist.
ok and bye.
Answered: Wed, 20 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Abid Pasha's  Response
You present with the features of a dental abscess. That's the accumulation of pus after a long standing infection, the hole u feel is a sinus opening(Your body's natural way of removing the infection).
And yes the sore feeling under your jaw maybe related, might be your sub-mandibular lymph nodes are enlarged.
This needs immediate attention. Please visit a dentist who would treat you.
Answered: Wed, 20 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend
your upper front teeth are infected either by dental caries or periapical lesion.
also your features are suggestive of dental abscess.there could be pus which has got accumulated there from long time.
the sore feeling under the jaw gives impression that there is enlarged sub mandibular lymph nodes.
you need immediate dental help.please visit your dentist soon and get OPG done.
Answered: Sun, 24 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Thanks for sharing your concern with us
When the inside of your mouth gets hurt or irritated, bacteria may enter and cause an infection. Sometimes you will see a painful swelling filled with pus (a thick, yellowish fluid).
If the infection is not treated, it can damage the surrounding bone and teeth. A hollow tunnel sometimes forms through the bone and skin to allow pus to drain. This tunnel is called a fistula or "sinus tract." You might see or feel this opening inside your mouth. It looks like a pimple.
If you can see or feel a pimple-like swelling on your gum, rinse your mouth several times a day with a mild salt-water solution. Use 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water. This may help draw the pus out and relieve pressure.
You can contact me again directly through my profile.
Dr Neha Gupta
Answered: Thu, 21 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend, thanx for sharing your concern .
it is required for you now to visit your dentist, get a xray done of concerned tooth , you might have an abscess there, which have drained which appears to you as hole .

x ray wold give you exact picture and help you in better diagnosis meanwhile you can start
tab combiflam 500 mg twice daily for three days.

do warm saline rinses , maintain oral hygiene and visit your dentist for further management . after consulting you might require an antibiotic dosage too.
take care
Answered: Wed, 20 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor