Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Two fingers swollen, purplish, itchy. What could it be?

I think that 2 of my fingers have frostbite, but am not sure. One finger was swollen at the tip and the other swollen in the middle 2 days later. The first one started about 8 days ago and is now turning kinda purpleish . Both are still swollen about 1 1/2 times the size of normal. Up until today both itched. Any thoughts?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012
Hello Thomas

From your description seems to me you are having gout attack even though rare in upper extremities but do occur. It is also possible that you could be having polyarthritis, multiple cellulitis, rheumatoid arthritis. Your doctor will need to run a series of test to determine the specific cause. Tests should include ASLO, serum uric acid, RF, blood panel (to determine if signs of inflammation) etc X-ray or other imagery scans can be done.
Antigout medications, allopurinol and colchicine will need to be started to treat the gout. If other causes determined then treat specifically. Antibiotics and antiinflammatory might be needed.

Hope this helps
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain's  Response
hI Tom,
swelling with pain generally indicates an inflammation. Depending on whether you have an associated high fever or not, this could be due to a bacterial infection. Low grade fever or absence of fever associated with this swelling could be caused by other causes of inflammation. This could be auto immune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis or systemic lupus erythematosus. But in these conditions, the swelling is usually on both sides.
A clinical evaluation to ascertain all these, with appropriate blood exams especially to look for markers of inflammation and a complete blood count for a probable infection could be needed. In some cases, an X ray could be worth doing.
Consulting the family physician for a proper evaluation and prescription of appropriate tests an exams is a reasonable option that I propose.
Nice time as I wish you just the best,
Hope this helps,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha.'s  Response
Hi welcome to Health care magic forum. As you look it is abnormal, and troubling you, leave about the reasons , you are expected to see a doctor for relief.
The reason might be allergy or infection, allergy might be due to contact of some allergen like rings etc. Infection could be due to injury like prick, or with out any reason.
Besides i advise you some diet recommendations as avoid taking pulses, fissh, and potato as these tend to increase the pus. If it is infection it need to be drained by a surgeon.
avoid taking sea foods and brinjal as these may tend to increase the allergy.
Wishing for a quick recovery and thanks for calling.
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor