Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Twisted knee, ankle injury, severe pain on walking. Tried ice, heat pad. Treatment?

i fell about 3 weeks ago 4 times.. those 4 times i fell i twisted my knee and ankle the popped real loud.. i went to the er and got x-ray but they probably didn t look at it good cause they got me in and out within 10mins, they said it was a badly sprung. i have tried pain medicine, ice, heat pad, and propping it up but the pain is just getting worse and bad. i cant walk on it touch it move it without me wanting to cry. what else could be wrong with my foot???
Asked On : Sat, 15 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  50
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dear Concerned.,

Thanks for writing to us.

In all probabality if the x-ray has not indicated any bony involvement., no hairline fracture also,then there could be a possibility of Soft tissue injury for ligaments/cartillages/muscle tendinous attachments which are naturally radioluscent and invisible in a Plain X-Ray of knee joit.

For pin pointing the diagnosis, specialised investigations such as MRI of knee joint and ankle are required to be done.

Immobilisation;-The injured portion of the body needs to be given adequate rest so that the approximation of the strucures lead to proper healing of soft tissue. kindly use appropriately sized Crepe Bandage/Tubigrip.

Analgesia;As the pain is severe ,pls take opioid analgesics such as Tramadol dosage and brands as decided by your MD. In addition the Gastrointestinal Side effects can be reduced by H2 Receptor antagonists such as Ranitidine.

The unaffected joints in the lower limb have to be adequately moved to prevent freezing of joints.

In the mean time on getting MRI reports and pinpoiting of diagnosis say for Example., Meniscal Tear, consult an Ortho Surgeon to institute minimally invasive arthroscopic/endoscopic surgery.

wishing you a speedy recovery.,

Best Regards.,

Dr Lt Cdr ASN Bhushan.,

Answered: Sat, 15 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor