Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Twisted foot, grade one sprain. Stiffness, swelling, tingling sensation, numbness. Suggestions?

Doing a sport the other day, I landed oddly and twisted my foot . I m almost certain it is a grade one sprain , due to stiffness , little swelling, but pain. I experience tingling , like when an appendage is about to fall asleep. Like needles almost. The injured foot feels slightly waxy, for lack of a better word. How should I proceed?
Asked On : Thu, 8 Nov 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  73
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Thanks for the query.

As you said, you may have sustained a sprain. Still I would like to know more about the injury to comment on it. Are you able to walk without much pain?

When there is a twist in the ankle, usually a sprain occurs. Sometimes it can be a strain or a fracture at the lower part of fibula. When there is a tear in the ligaments, it is called as strain. To differentiate between the injuries, you will need to be examined by an orthopaedic surgeon and an X-ray of the ankle would be required.

You can try the following to reduce your difficulties.

- Apply analgesic gel to the ankle.

- Reduce activity at the joint by reducing your normal walking. While walking, use a crepe bandage at the ankle.

- While in lying position, keep your foot elevated.

If the symptoms are not reducing within 3-5 days, an evaluation is necessary. If there is no problem found in ankle, then a physiotherapy or massage would help.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Answered: Thu, 8 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

A fracture can not be excluded - it is wise to have an X-ray.
Rest to the part / cold compress / simple Over The Counter pain relievers help in the acute stage.
An orthopaedician is the one to investigate in this situation

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Thu, 8 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor