Trying to stop xanax. Blurred vision, sleeplessness. Withdrawal symptoms?

i have been on xanax for 30 years ,, i have tried going cold turkey but had massive withdrawl symtoms.
i only take .5 mg once a day at night, just to sleep.
i do drink alcohol regularly and this helps sleep. i am a cronic teeth grinder and have to where a very stiff plastic guard..
i ask my doctor what to do and he suggested Ativan as a replacement and start scaling down to .25 mg xanax for 2-3 weeks then give them up entirely ,, and use only the Ativan..after that ?
i do suffer from blurred vision on a daily basis ,, is this advise correct or are there any other options.
adrian
Fri, 17 May 2013