Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Trying for pregnancy. Will turkey baster help?

Am trying to get pregnant and have been unsuccessful for over 9 years now. I have a normal 28 day cycle and ovulate each month. The odds of me getting pregnant now are thin (I m 41) but i am trying still. My friend suggested turkey baster. do you think that is a viable solution and how do i do it. I can not afford going to a fertility clinic.
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Diabetologist 's  Response
Thanks for choosing healthcare magic,
Turkey baster or a syringe technique is almost equal to intercourse and even a little less than that .This method is an alternative to induction method done in the hospital. But the difference is that in the hospital, the collected sperm is subjected to certain procedures to obtain only the sperm cells, which increases the chances of fertilisation and to remove the other fraction that may cause problem to the cervix when loaded directly.
In intercourse only the sperm cells swim across the vagina to the cervix the remaining fraction remains away from cervix
So through turkeybaster you collect the full sperm and the fraction that cause problem to cervix can’t be separated, which is a drawback.
Sperm collection in condoms that have spermicidal actions may kill the sperm, which wastes all the efforts you take to implement this technique
And moreover it is a sterile technique when done in a hospital. when conducted at home, you are more prone to infections. Still some medical personnel may recommend this ,but with a proper guidance .So it is up to you to decide the benefits.
In your case, I suggest you to meet a doctor, because already it has been 9 years without kids and moreover your age is also more. so wasting more time with these things without ruling out the cause is not advisable in your case. you need to undergo minimum tests to find the cause so talk to the doctor about the finances and insurance and take steps accordingly.
Hope I answered your query
Feel free to contact me for further queries
Thank you
Answered: Wed, 13 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor