Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Trying for child. Have IVF treatment. Medication changed from fostimon to menopur. Which is suitable?

I am currently having IVF treatment. My first attempt was successful, I have earlier this year tried for a second child.
The IVF failed and we are on our 2nd attempt. Our doctor has changed our drugs from Fostimon to Menopur with no explanation. Which drug is more suitable for us? I am 40. I dont really trust this 2nd clinic that we are having treatment at, we are paying privately and feel that we are not put first that this clinic is too interested in single egg transfers than our personal treatment. I would be grateful for any advice.
kind regards
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  190
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Inadequate Gonadotropin secretion causes infertility. Gonadotropins are given to induce ovulation. Both Menptropin and Fostimon are extracted and purified from urine of post menopausal women.

Menopur is Menotropin and Fostimon is Urofolitropin. Menotropin contains both Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and Luteinising homone (LH). Urofolitropin contains only FSH. In persons with elevated LH/FSH ratio as in poly cystic ovarian disease (PCOD), Urofolitropin is preferred.
Urofolitropin is is claimed to improve the chances of obtaining good quality ova for in vitro fertilization.

Menotropin induces simultaneous maturation of several ova and also precisely times the ovulation to facilitate their harvesting for in vitro fertilization. Menotropin injection daily for 10 days followed by Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) can induce ovulation within 24 to 48 hours in 75% of persons.Since you are nearing 40 the chances of ovulation will be better with Menotropin and the Dr is right in switching over from Fostimon to Menopur.

I hope this is useful to you.
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor