Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Trouble in saying words. Noticed problem and scared. Any major problem?

My husband seems to have trouble saying words - tonight he tried to say to put away the leftover chicken after supper and went through at least 3 words before I could realize what he wanted. He noticed his problem and is scared. To calm him down, I said he could see tomorrow and if it continues to visit our family doctor but that usually means a wait of 3-4 weeks. Should we be scared?
Asked On : Fri, 7 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  82
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
A little bit more clarity and description of symptoms would help. But its likely your husband could be having a minor stroke and the word finding difficulty can be part of it. Since there are no details about his age or other medical conditions its difficult to comment on the risk profile.
If this symptoms started abruptly you should have it evaluated as the likelihood of a Cerebrovascular accident is more compared to a slow onset over several days or weeks. Also enquire if he has any other accompanying symptoms. Its advisable to seek early medical attention from the ER even if the symptom has improved.
Hope this helps.
Answered: Sat, 8 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Emergency Medicine Specialist Dr. Sheeba Stephen's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Forgetting words or having difficulty in naming may indicate an underlying neurological problem. However, just one incident of having difficulty in naming may be insufficient to reach any definitive conclusion.

If this problem persists or if he develops any other associated symptoms like confusion, disorientation, seeing non-existent things (hallucinations), slurred speech, difficulty in comprehending speech, weakness or numbness in any part of the body, headache with vomiting or urinary / bowel incontinence, then you should seek urgent medical attention.

Best wishes,
Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Answered: Sat, 8 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor