Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Treatments for Asymmetrical/Maxillofacial

Treatments for Asymmetrical/Maxillofacial ? I have an appointment to see a oral surgeon tomorrow and I just want to know what are some treatments that I will have to go threw and will I surgery? My misaligned jaw isn't really that bad but I want it fixed an idk what to expect to hear tomorrow. Here's a picture as you can tell my midline isnt even
Asked On : Fri, 27 Aug 2010
Answers:  3 Views:  259
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for posting your query.

Asymmetrical jaws due to midline shift can be due to-

Dislocated TMJ.

TMJ tenderness.

I would suggest you to get a detailed clinical as well as x-ray evaluation.

Jaws has to be immobilised using IMF.

Splinting has to be done.

Analgesics along with muscle relaxants has to be administered.

Take care.
Answered: Tue, 9 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Maligned jaw can be very well treated by various surgeries of upper and lower jaw.

This misalignment can be due to either the teeth in abnormal positions or could be due to shifting of the jaws from the midline.

Usually, it is tried to bring about changes,by aligning teeth with wire (orthodontically),only in those cases, where it cannot be done by just teeth movement then the jaw surgery is done.

For further please let me know.

Take care.
Answered: Tue, 9 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Manisha Rao's  Response
Hi, Malalignment of the teeth and jaws could be orthodontic ( mal alignment of the teeth) or Orthognathic (mal alignment or improper size or placement of the jaws). Please consult the Oral surgeon as the treatment needs to be started after complete clinical examination and investigations that include X rays. U may need to undergo Orthodontic treatment for proper alignment of teeth or orthognathic surgery depending on the findings.
Answered: Sat, 28 Aug 2010
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor