Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Treatment of sinusitis?

I am suffering from sinusitis since long time.i am 25 year old now i think allergy is with me now around 4-5 years but this sinusitis is around 1-1.5 year old .Few doctors have asked me to get operated but they are of the opinion that it is not a permanent solution.What should be done?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Jan 2010
Answers:  6 Views:  1087
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Dear alejand Hello I ma Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon On the basis of the info provided it appears you are suffering from chronic rhinosinusitis. Long history of symptoms may make the things difficult as it can lead to formation of nasal polyps. As for as the treatment results are concerned I am of the opinion that you should go ahead for surgery. But here the skill and experience of the ENT surgeon should be inquired about. About recurrence issue --- I would say 60 to 70 percent of the patient do failry well even after 2 years of surgery. For the rest they require some small operative intervention. The need of medicines drastically reduces after successful surgery. Then you can take it like this --- if you plan for surgery there are chances that you will have improvement but if you are not planning for surgery that means it will further worsen and you may need a bigger surgery after some time. I hope this answers your concern with regards Ravinder Sharma
Answered: Sat, 21 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response

Yes, it need not result in permanent resolution of the problem. Hence you should try it out without surgery. If you are getting more than 5 episodes of sinus infection per year, then surgery is to be considered. Try exercise like walking, steaminhalation and some medications for help.

Answered: Sat, 9 Jan 2010
  User's Response
welcome to healthcare magic.sinusitis s not a major problem.treatment is antihistaminics,decongestants,steroids and antibiotics. if you are getting recurrent attacks like 5 to 6 episodes per day,then surgery is the better option. name of surgery is FESS.
Answered: Tue, 26 Jul 2011
General & Family Physician Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani's  Response
hi,thanks for query.First of all diagnosis is important.In case of deviated nasal septum and blocked sinus you need surgery.There are other methods like sinus wash etc,which can take care of this effectively.First of all get proper diagnosis is done,I hope you had undergone X ray and other necessary investigation.Allergy could lead to recurrent infection.Avoid cold drinks,junk food etc.Have more of hot soups,tea/coffee etc.
wishing you good health.
Answered: Tue, 26 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
For sinusitis treatment options are anti-inflamatory drugs ,painkillers,but if u want permanent solution us should go for surgery.but should know what is the type of sinusitis like ..maxillary,frontal..u post what kind of sinusitis and the name of surgery is FESS.
Answered: Mon, 18 Jan 2010
  User's Response

I have been investigating other paths, besides traditional surgery, and am intrigued by this balloon sinuplasty. Helps improve air flow and ins less invasive. Maybe not right in every case but I may be a candidate. Talking to my doc next tues.


Answered: Thu, 28 Jan 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor