Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Treated for coeliac disease during infancy, now facing various symptoms, waiting blood test results. What could this be?

Hi, I was tested for coeliac disease when I was 2 years old (1982). I had a biopsy which showed partial villous atrophy . I was put on a gluten free diet and responded well. Subsequently my local hospital advised my mum to re-introduce gluten into my diet. I have had a normal diet since. I have had various symptoms that tie-in with coaliac disease. I have returned to my doct and I am (impatiently) awaiting blood test results. If they come back negative does that mean I don t have CD or can I go with the original diagnosis 30 years ago?
Asked On : Mon, 30 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello, tiger.mcguire,
You were initially dignosed as a Celiac after confermation by biopsy.
You say that your biopsy showed partial villous atrophy. At that time
you had a mild form of the condition. Now that you are not on a gluten
free diet , it is entirely possible that your symptons are back . There
is no complete cure for celiac disease but we can acheive "Remission"
by observing strict gluten free diet regimen.
Your doctor will advice you properly. In the mean time I would ask
you to go back to a gluten free diet.
Wish you well.
Answered: Mon, 30 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor