Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Trauma to kidney, blood of his urine, excess urination, treatment

my son has had some trauma to his kidney .. he was attacked and i believe kicked in the kidney area.. On the second day of his recovery he now has small amounts of blood of his urine .. and he is peeing an awful lot..should i take him back to A&E? he is otherwise ok.. no fever or pain.. what would be the treatment? is it cause for concern? thanks debs
Asked On : Thu, 24 May 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  69
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Urologist 's  Response

Has he been evaluated regarding the severity of the injury?
At least he needs ultrasound scan to find out the site, size of the kidnay injury and other organ injuries if any.
If bleeding in urine persists, he needs a CT SCAN of the abdomen.
Kindly fix up an early appointment with the concerned specialist or go to the A and E.

Take care

Answered: Thu, 24 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Buddhika's  Response

Dear Debs,

Blunt trauma to flank can cause trauma to the kidney as well as to the ureter. You may need to stay in a hospital for close observation because of the risk of internal blood loss from an injured kidney.

According your history your son does not have features of renal failure and he has mild hematuria which is normal for most cases.

For minor kidney injuries, careful control of fluid intake and bed rest are often the only treatment needed, because these measures allow the kidney to heal itself.

He does not need analgesics as he is not in pain.

But he may need Bed rest for 1 - 2 weeks or until bleeding is reduced.

He does not have any features of infection.

My personal feeling is he can keep in the home at the moment and observe for urine out put.

If things are getting worst you can take him back to the hospital.

Hope you got the answer.
Answered: Thu, 24 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor