Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Toothache with inflammed nerve

have a throbbing tooth ache, taken amoxilin 3 times today for inflammed nerve given by dentist . Had been taking extra strength excedrin since yesterday - 4 times 2 capsules in 18hrs. Dentist then gave me Ibiprofen 600mg, did not help, was told to take ponstan 500. Took one tablet 5 hrs ago and another 1 hour ago and the pain is still killing me!! Can I now take paracetamol, excedrin, anything,? Please, have throbbing pain it s unbearable!! Am 37, no health issues, 68 kilos. Thank you!!!
Asked On : Fri, 17 Jun 2011
Answers:  5 Views:  2942
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Dentist 's  Response
Tooth ache can be relieved by immediate opening of the root canal of the tooth by a dentist. This is the fastest way to get relief of pain. Medications will give you a relief only for a short period of time. So contact your dentist as soon as possible and get it treated by Root canal treatment or Extraction depending on the clinical condition of the tooth.
Answered: Fri, 1 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Good Day
I understand the pain isn't relieving with strong anti-inflammatory drugs. I would recommend you get to the ER immediately to see if there is an abscess which needs draining. You can ask the Doctors to give you Tramadol injection which is an opioid drug that relieves terrible pain. See the Doctor immediately as the pus which may be formed may need drainage and/or antibiotic change.
Answered: Fri, 17 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dr. Adarsh K. Desai's  Response
dental pain is one of the worst pains to experience....what you need to do is see a dentist immediately if there is a abscess apical to your tooth it needs to be root canal treated the minute the canal is opened your pain will be relieved and occlusion has to be present you can take ketorol-dt 2 tab dispersed in half a glass of water
would give you temporary relief for 8 hrs....get your teeth treated....take care
dradarshdesai oral maxillofacial surgeon & implantologist
Answered: Fri, 17 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

  User's Response
Hello! I suggest you to go for tablet diclofenac+paracetamol(DAN-P) & along with that take luke warm water put some salt in it & in your mouth keep that water on paining tooth for few minutes, then spit it out. Tell your dentist to check for CERVICAL ABRASION ON SUBGINGIVAL AREA. I hope it will be helpful. -Dr. Javed
Answered: Sat, 2 Jul 2011
Dentist, Implantology Dr. Manish Juneja's  Response
dont take too many drugs by yourself. visit the dentist. let him take an x ray of the offending tooth. if there is a decayed tooth and is restorable the dentist should initiate root canal treatment. your pain will subside once the pus coolected in tissues finds space to be drained out.
Answered: Fri, 17 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor