Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Toothache. Used mouthwash. Have tenderness there. Reason?

Yes, but this is regarding toothache ...last one year didnt take care of my teeth very nice, but now i do, just noticed a few months back, one of my back tooth, at the corner, one day some of the, much of the portion of that particular tooth got chipped and got after that do not have that much of a trouble though, just a bit of tenderness sometimes when it touches the lower teeth, but just now an hour or so back, due to bad rains, got completely drenched in rains, and as soon as I came home, had intense pain from that tooth and surrounding area, which I have never had, then brushed, used mouthwash etc now a bit better, took a Nise medicine now. Can you tell me what can I do about this..
Asked On : Fri, 14 Sep 2012
Answers:  5 Views:  83
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for writing to us.

Toothache associated with erosion or chipping can be due to-

Dentin or pulp exposure.

Tooth has to be restored or root canal treatment depending on the depth of erosion.

Please do get a thorough clinical as well as x-ray evaluation by a dentist.

Meanwhile,maintain oral hygiene well.

Avoid biting on hard objects.

Use soft bristled toothbrush to clean your teeth.

Take care.
Answered: Sun, 7 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Hello there,

Thanks for the query.

You said that you have pain in your chipped and eroded tooth,it seems that there is infection in the same tooth which involves pulpal tissue of the same because of that you have intense pain.

I would suggest you visit a dentist in your area at the earliest and get the check up done and x-ray too of the same tooth.

For infection and pain you should ask your dentist for a course of antibiotic and analgesic.

Hope this answered your query.
Take care.

Dr. Gunjan Gupta
Answered: Mon, 6 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.
Toothache caused due to chipping or erosion involving pulp is caused due to infection.
You should visit the dentist and get a radiograph done.
To overcome infection you should follow a course of antibiotics.
Maintain proper oral hygiene and use mouthwash.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Answered: Fri, 2 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Yogesh Tripathi's  Response
pain in tooth after chipping or erosion is mostly dur to pulp exposure
what i would suggest is that you visit your local dentist and get a radiograpg done.if the pulp is exposed and tooth is not much damaged than get a root canl done and also capping if much part is damaged and it cant be restored than get it extracted
in the meanwhile you can do following
1.levofloxacin 500 mg twice daily
2nice tab twice daily
both these for 5 days
plus try luke warm saline rinses for 6-8 times daily
hope that will help a lot
Answered: Thu, 1 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Tooth pain indicated infection in the tooth that is involving the pulpal tissues, such type of infected tooth need to be root canal treated to save it permanently.
I would suggest you to visit the Dentist get the checkup done, take an x-ray of the tooth.
Start with the course of antibiotics and analgesics.
Maintain a good oral hygiene use antiseptic mouthwash gargles.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Fri, 26 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor