Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Tooth was extracted. Pus in periapical region & submandubular space got infected. Took taxim. How to cure?

hi doctor
i got my toot extracted 3 days back with slight swelling
now i am unable to open my mouth as i visited y dentist he is saying that there is pus in the periapical region
and my submandubular space got infected he prescribed me taxim o iv bd and metrogyl 500 mg td chymotrypsin bd still my swelling did not subside
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  905
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
The swelling and pain is due to the development of dry socket at the extraction socket area.
Frequent warm saline and betadine gargle may help.
Dressing the socket using zoe/iodoform has to be done.
Maintain good oral hygiene to prevent accumulation of food debris.
Ice packs can be applied on the swelling region.
Avoid anxiety and complete rest is adviced.
Abscess if present has to be drained and curetted.
Hope this helps.
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Drainage of the periodontal abscess is done along with the extraction of the tooth.
There are chances of any left over tooth particle or any remnants of infection causing abscess formation in the extraction socket and periapical area.

Visit to a Dentist get clinical evaluation done , take an x-ray to confirm the diagnosis,

Maintain a good oral hygiene, use lukewarm saline water gargles 3-4 times daily, avoid eating of hot and spicy food, use antiseptic mouthwash gargles.

Take tab amoxiclav 625 mg and aceclofenac twice for three days.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hello there ,

Extraction of the tooth is done along with drainage of the periodontal abscess involved with the tooth.

Once the abscess is drained the area is curretted to remove all the irritants and the socket is compressed.

any remnant infection in the socket may lead to spread of abscess in the periapical and submandibular area.

you need to get an x ray done the affected area to confirm the presence of infection, approach a dentist for the treatment.

i would suggest you to go for symptomatic treatment at home like gargling with lukewarm saline water or antiseptic mouthwash like chlorhexidine or betadine.

continue with the course of antibiotic Augmentin 625mg along with analgesics like aceclofenac two times daily for 3 to 5 days .

i hope this helps,

take care.
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

As a general principle, pus anywhere must be drained...
Your dentist will be the best person to see and advise...

Your medicines are excellent / it is question of time..
Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs can help to reduce the inflammation and pain

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor