Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Tooth pain in lower left side of jaw. X-ray shows severe cavity. RCT suggested. Alternative treatment options?

Hi, I have pain in some tooth in lower left side of my jaw. I met a dentist today and she performed an xray . Although clinically there is no evidence of any severe cavity, she says that xrays shows a cavity and RCT is the only option. I want to know if there can be some other measures before going for RCT. ALso, please recommend a competent and honest doctor in XXXXX
Asked On : Sat, 14 Jul 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  50
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Dentist 's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM forum,
as you stated, you are experiencing pain in your lower left tooth, but have not mentioned whether the pain is intermittent or continuous, does it radiate or not, what are the aggravating or relieving factors.
therefore, i assume that the pain might be quite intolerable and that must be the reason why your dentist suggested root canal treatment.
RCT is performed when the nerves and vessels of your teeth get infected, in such a case, RCT is the only treatment or in severe cases extraction of the concerned tooth.
i would suggest you go for RCT quite soon before the pain becomes severe., delay in the treatment can cause spreading of infection to the sorrounding tissue(gums,jaw,etc) also.
kindly visit a dentist who is specialized in RCT's.
i wish you good health.
take care.
Answered: Mon, 16 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Orthodontics Dr. Atwal Vikram's  Response
no matter how the cavity looks from outside only a thorough examination by a doctor can only rule out any treatment.
am giving you certain tips which can help you to know if your tooth really need RCT or not.
1. if the pain starts with hot food or drinks. then it would most certainly require RCT
2. if when pain lasts for mins or hours once started ,then most certainly RCT

if you have these symptoms then you should trust that doctor or otherwise its your right to go for
second opinion always.
take care
Answered: Mon, 16 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Varun Mishra's  Response
hello and welcome to hcm,
sometimes, things are not clinically diagnosed only, but takes an adjunct help of x-ray.. if there is cavity and pain, then it is sure that your pulp which is the soft tissue inside the tooth is exposed to infection. root canal treatment is the good option to it followed by capping. if you do not want an rct, then get the tooth removed followed by bridge on the empty space or an implant.
take a second opinion as well.
Answered: Tue, 17 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor