Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Tooth ache, had a filling for same tooth. Using Sensodyne. Any home remedy?

Hello, Couple of months ago, a dentist did a filling for me. It was some kind of small tube, after filling it looks exactly like a part of tooth , same color. Now I moved to Italy, and here the temperature is too cold right now. I have this bad tooth / jaw ache. what could be the reason ? Temperature ? Also, I never had tooth ache until the day I started using Sensodyne tooth paste! a serious mistake! My private insurance doesnt cover dental problems. Are there any home remedies apart from warm water + salt ? Some thing that can help me for a few months.
Asked On : Fri, 14 Dec 2012
Answers:  10 Views:  214
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dentist 's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM,

Tooth ache indicates bacterial decay or infection in the tooth that involves the exposed tooth nerve tissues .

such infected tooth needs to be treated by a root canal procedure so please consider getting the treatment done by consulting a dentist.

you may need a X RAY examination done for your teeth to confirm the spread of infection and the surrounding structures involved.

i would suggest you to start with antibiotic Augmentin 625mg along with analgesics like aceclofenac two times daily for 3 to 5 days .

medications will help in subsiding the symptoms .

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Thu, 11 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dr. Chaithanyaa Nemaly's  Response
Hi there...tooth colored material are restored for esthetic purpose...there are indications for these restorative materials....its not indicated as an immediate restorative material in cases of deep caries....this would result in chemical reaction and result in severe pulpitis resulting in pain...if this filling has been placed after a waiting period of 15 days still have pain...then tooth has to go for root canal treatment. If it is just sensitivity, sensation of discomfort that increases while consuming hot or cold foods, then you can use sensodyne toothpaste...or for that matters any desensitizing paste, it would give you relief.....if you are able to differentiate between pain and sensitivity and feel it as pain consult a dental surgeon in your area.
Answered: Sat, 15 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Tooth coloured restorative materials are used for esthetic purposes if the cavities are too deep it can cause inflammation of the pulp tissue leading to pulpitis.

If sensitivity in the tooth occurs use to consumption of hat and cold stuffs sensodyne toothpaste can be used, if toothache occurs such type of tooth need to be treated with root canal treatment.

I would suggest you to visit Dentist and get checkup done, take an x-ray of the tooth ,this will give the periapical condition of the tooth.

As you mentioned you cannot visit the dentist right now, you can start with tab Augmentin 625mgand tab aceclofenac twice all this for three days.

Maintain a good oral hygiene and use chlorhexidine mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for writing to us.
Few home remedies are:
Rinse your mouth after meals and regularly consult your dentist.
Regular flossing is what you can do for sensitive teeth, if you want to stay away from pain and discomfort.
Massage your gums with finely powdered salt. Salt is known to act on the bacteria in the gums and teeth.
Use of clove oil and cinnamon oil is also valuable home remedy for sensitive teeth especially after you eat or drink too cold or hot.
Avoid acidic food and drinks.
Turmeric with cotton swab is good option
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Answered: Thu, 11 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome to hcm,

Toothache associated with the filled tooth may be due to-

Fractured filling.
Periapical infection of tooth.
I would suggest you to get the filling removed and place a cotton dipped in formocresol as a medicament.
Please avoid chewing food in that area as it can cause food lodgement and thereby progress infection.
Please do visit a dentist as soon as possible.
Hope this helps.
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
For temporary relief you can try few home remedies.
Clove oil application gives relief but while using clove oil one should be extra careful because excess clove oil can cause the ulceration of the gums. The other alternative is to use clove as such. It is quiet effective.
Turmeric powder is considered to be good antibiotic and it also give relief from pain. Put some turmeric powder on the cotton swab and press it into the cavity. It definitely gives temporary relief.
The juice of garlic is an effective anesthetic. when there is toothache just peel a clove of garlic and press it against the effected tooth. It gives relief.
Answered: Sat, 15 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Hello sumit,
Thanks for writing in.
I read your query,sumit the detail provided by you are not clear but i think you have deep infection in your tooth,because of that you have pain after filling so i will suggest you please visit back your dentist and get the thorough examination done including x-rays.
If tooth can be saved root canal treatment will be the option of treatment.
Nothing to get worried,go to your dentist as soon as possible.
For temporary relief you can take pain killers and can use clove oil.
Take Care.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Answered: Sat, 15 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

please try to understand that presently you have pain because your previously filled tooth has developed secondary infection and that is causing the pulpal tissue to get irritated and hence causing pain.

for this the only remedy is to visit your dentist and get that filling removed,based upon the pulpal involvement, treatment can be decided between pulp capping or root canal treatment.

Analgesics might help to some extent, but not a permanent relief.also you can use clove oil as home remedy to some extent.

Hope it helps.

take care.

Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
Ideally you should concern your dentist & get complete diagnosis & treatment of associated tooth.
Meanwhile you can use clove oil in cotton pellet to get relieved.But handle it with care by preventing it from gingiva because it may cause ulceration.You can also do warm saline gargles twice a day.
Turmeric powder with cotton swab can also be a good option.
If you want some medicine than go for Tab diclomol twice a day.

Take Care
Answered: Sun, 16 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

There is no alternative but to see a dentist!
Examination is necessary for proper diagnosis and treatment...
Discuss with your colleagues and find a way...
Anything else is guess and won't guarantee a cure

Sensodyne is unlikely to be responsible for this...
Cold won't cause but can complement an existing problem
Waiting for months is not a good choice

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Fri, 12 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor