Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Tooth abscess, flesh colored lumps, tender gums between teeth. Treatment?

I have an abcess on a tooth but have noticed a lump on either side of my mouth on the top of the inner cheek. the lumps are flesh coloured soft and don t hurt. should I be worried. I only noticed them this evening. there is also a tender part of the gum/cheek at the back between the top and bottom layer of teeth although I m not sure if this is related as it is not near the lumps.
Asked On : Sun, 30 Sep 2012
Answers:  5 Views:  455
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM forum,
according to the dental history presented by you it seems that you have a dental abscess which causes pain, swelling and pus discharge in some cases.
i would advise you to see your dentist and get the tooth treated to avoid the infection from spreading to the surrounding tissues.
also, for the flesh colored painless lumps, it is better to see your dentist as he/she will check clinically and rule out the diagnosis, it may or may not require treatment.
i recommend you to maintain proper oral hygiene, use a soft bristle tooth brush with any tooth paste of your choice, use interdental brush or a dental floss to clean areas between the teeth.
brush your teeth twice/daily and floss once/day,
kindly follow these steps to prevent plaque formation, which in turn will keep your mouth free of oral problems.
i hope i answered your query,
i wish you good health.
Answered: Mon, 1 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Thanks for your query.
The detail given by you is not much clear,but it seems that you have infection in the relevant tooth.
So i will suggest you,please visit to your dentist as soon as possible and get the complete examination done including x-rays.
For the lumps,i will suggest you get the examination done even it is not hurting.
Nothing to get worried,but need a dental treatment,so visit your dentist as soon as possible.
Take Care.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Answered: Tue, 2 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Akhilesh Dubey's  Response
Welcome to HCM
You ahve a abscess related to tooth infection called alveolar abscess,along with that you may have gum disease, so you must visit a Dentist/Endodontist/Periodontist who will check your dental and gum health.
A Xray evaluation by OPG may be very useful which will show which tooth is diseased and causing abscess.
If it is possible to do a root canal treatment of diseased tooth along with surgery of your abscess,once these problem are sorted out you can maintaine your dental and gum health.
Take care of your dental health if any smoking ,Tobacco chewing is there completely stop those harm ful habits.
Good luck to you.
Answered: Sun, 30 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
I went through your dental history & it suggests that you have got infection in your tooth i.e. dental abscess which results in pain, swelling & pus discharge.For better treatment you should go for complete dental check up.Specially go for an IOPAR of associated tooth.
If abscess is due to pulp involvement then you need to go for RCT & may be some surgical procedure like apicectomy(in case of larger abscess).You may start with amoxi-clav combination twice a day along with zerodol-sp thrice a day. But if problem is due to periodontal reason then you need to go for scaling,root planing along with gingival curretage & you should start taking doxycycline-100mg once daily for 7 days.
For that painless swelling i need to some more points:-
-is there any pus discharge from that region?
-is there any bleeding from same region?
-does its size increase on taking some specific food item??
You should go for biopsy for complete diagnosis & consult your nearest dentist as soon as possible.
Try to maintain proper oral hygiene by brushing twice a day.If you have any habit of tobacco chewing or smoking than cease it because these habits aggravate such condition.

Take Care

Answered: Tue, 2 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
do you have medical history of diabetes,epilepsy,thyroid diseases.
visit your dentist and check the area clinically.
your dentist will check for decay/plaque/calculus/food debris/pocket/pus discharge.
if there is plque and calculus associated with gingivitis,scaling and root planning should be done along with gingivoplasty,abscess drainage and ,once daily for 7 days must be taken to relieve the abscess.
if there is decay,it has to be restored according to the pulp involvement.since there is abscess associated with the tooth,the decay has involved periapical area also.
root canal treatment and abscess drainage should be done.
maintain good oral hygiene.use soft interdental brush and dental floss to clean your teeth.massage your gums with astringent.
take care.
Answered: Sun, 30 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor