Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Took injection for numbing for dental cavity replacement. Having itching, ear bleeding. Reason?

Yesterday I had 2 cavities replaced (I had 30+yr old ones) . I had a needle for numbing. Later that night I became extremely itchy. But I couldn t relieve it with scratching bc I was frozen in the area still. So I rubbed it (probably too much as now I have like a wind- burn , scabby rash on the area. This morninng I woke up to a blood filled pillow (even with sticky clot-like stuff) My ear had been bleeding all night. (same side as the work I had done) I went to ER and they said no ruptures. I haven t been sick. I was in the ER for 3 mins..they said if it is still bleeding in 2 days come back so they can burn it. So online I am coming to the conclusion that it may have been a broken blood vessel in my ear from an alergic reaction to something the dentist use (laytex, needles, whatever). My question: 1) What should I be asking my dentist? (i.e. precautions for next time? Is there an x-ray he can do to see if there s anything else wrong -- like Ear cancer?? 2) Is it possible he made an error with respect to the needle??
Asked On : Mon, 11 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  46
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Dentist 's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.

As you said,you have got your decayed teeth filled under local anaesthesia.
Usually,filling of decayed teeth does not require local anaesthesia.
In your case,the decay has involved pulp/periapical area resulting pain sensation.
The ear pain and bleeding may or may not be associated with filling undertaken.
An x-ray will help to rule out the lesion/anomaly underlying.

Any perforation/ledge formation during the procedure can cause such bleeding.Needle breakage during LA administration can cause complication.
I would suggest you to visit a dentist as well as an ENT specialist regarding this.

Hope this helps.
Take care.

Answered: Mon, 11 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor