Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
129 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Took challenge test, extremely allergic to sulfa. Can I use Desonide cream?

Good evening. I have recently had a challenge test to sulfa and was extremely allergic to it after 4 hours. I have not had my follow up appt with my allergist yet but scheduled in two weeks. If I am allergic to sulfa, does that mean I must be careful with products containing sulfite, sulfate and sulfur? I know that I did use bactrim (which has the sulfa) before having the challenge test and that reaction is what prompted the challenge. How about Desonide cream which contains aluminum sulfate? Thank you in advance for responding to my question. Barbara
Tue, 9 Apr 2013
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Allergist and Immunologist 's  Response
The drug group is sulfacetamide
So be awre o products containing sulphacetamide
sulfate is diffent it is base in this combination
See Shimla mirch and brinjals also have sulphacetamide in it dont use them also
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have a very bad burn and am allergic to Sulfa. I was wondering if there are any other prescription strength creams that are just as good as...

Recent questions on  Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole

doctor1 MD

I have recently went to the hospital for a spider bite on my right pelvic Bone. it was not lanced. I was prescribed bactrim that I have been taking...

doctor1 MD

My nephew has a small pinpoint rash all over his body. He has had chicken pox a week ago which resolved and had a ear infection at the same time...

doctor1 MD

Two consecutive urine cultures have reported staph epi 100,000. The sensitivities included Bactrim (sulfa allergy), erythomycin, and the remaining...

doctor1 MD

I started having symptoms on Saturday. Painful urination and a green penile discharged that is getting worse. I had blood and urine tests today,...

doctor1 MD

I had valve replacement surgery 2 months ago. ai have a urinary tract infection . Is it alright to take Bactrim? I also had cardio version 2 weeks...

doctor1 MD

I am prettu sure I have UTI. What should I do? Symptoms are: blood in urine; burning sensation on urination; frequent need to pee. Am drinking...