Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Tonsil swollen, pressure in ears, throat scratchy. What is the cure?

I have had one tonsil swollen and a little pressure in my ears for about 1.5 months now . It s still pretty minor but I m not sure what else I can do for it. 2 doctors have looked at it and said to gargle and keep an eye out for any of the problems progressing. This morning my throat is a little scratcher than normal but just annoying. Should I be going back to the doctor for tests?
Asked On : Fri, 8 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  99
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012

Thanks for posting,
From your description it looks like a case of tonsillitis or tonsillopharyngitis and which normally besides the gargles would have required antibiotics to treat it. I suggest that from this point you should go back for a throat swap (+/-culture) and blood tests and after which an appropriate course of antibiotics. A complication of a chronic or recurrent tonsillitis is tonsilloliths (also known as tonsil stones or tonsilar calculi) and will require surgery to remove.
Based on your presentation you will require antibiotics to treat the throat infection and therefore will require to see a doctor again.

Hope this helps
Answered: Sat, 9 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Achuo Ascensius's  Response
thanks for using health care magic.
Given the duration of your symptoms, it is more likely that you are suffering from an allergic upper respiratory affection. It is common in predisposed individuals who have a family history of asthma, atopic dermatitis, recurrent sneezing and nasal congestion etc. It could be seasonal for people allergic to pollens, after sweeping the house for people allergic to fungus etc.
The main arm of management is the identification and abstention from the allergens. Drugs such as antihistaminic drugs and corticosteroids which your doctor can prescribe will do you good.
Best regards and hope this helps you.
Dr. Achuo
Answered: Sat, 9 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor