Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Tightening in chest, stomach pain. Reports are fine. Taking Prilosec, head burning. Solution ?

I went to the ER Friday with tighting in my chest and my stomach in pain. I thought I was having a heart attack . They did all the test inclusing a chemical strss test and thank goodness My heart is fine. But they told me I MAY have a ulcer and to take prilosec . I have taken this for the last 3 years and it has never helped this pain. it is all over my stomach and I break out into cold sweats. Actually feels like my head is burning up. I have no diarrhea , and I can eat but hurts when I am done. I am bloated and have gained weight.
Asked On : Thu, 28 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Some persons with peptic ulcer disease may have a bacteria called H pylori which , if not treated, would result in continued symptoms despite using other appropriate medication. A blood test is all that is needed to diagnose it and it is treated with an antibiotic regimen combined with medication normally used for GERD or peptic ulcer. Treatment is for 10 to 14 days usually.
You may want to consider having this test done.

Other aspects of treatment for reflux are: (1) avoidance of spicy foods (2) avoiding acidic foods (3) avoiding fried or fatty foods (4) small meals (5) weight loss if there is excess weight (6) elevating the head of the bed (7) waiting at least 2 hrs before lying down after eating.

I hope this helps
Answered: Thu, 28 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Every peptic ulcer suspicion should be verified with upper GI endoscopy as peptic ulcers and stomach cancer can give exactly the same symptoms. Moreover, you should be tested for Helicobacter Pylori, as this can be the reason of all symptoms and any treatment wont be effective without its eradication with antibiotics.
If your pain appears after a meal (especially fatty) and radiates to the back, also gallstones can be the reason. That is why you should have abdominal ultrasound performed as well and if stones are present, get scheduled for laparoscopy.
Sometimes stones in bile ducts or pancreatitis can give similar symptoms, that is why also liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP) and amylase should be checked.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Fri, 1 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor