Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Thumb knuckle pain, unable to move it, pain on movement in certain ways. Arthritis?

I m a 45 female, right thumb not from the tip but from the knuckle down hurts terribly. I ve been managing the pain for over a year because it was bearable. Now I cant turn a key in a door or car. cant open any bottles, cant put my hair back in a pony tail. basically nothing. if Im typing or just not using the hand I really dont feel so bad, just when it moves a certain way. Is this arthritis?
Asked On : Wed, 12 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  49
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The pain in your knuckle down your thumb is likely to be due to an inflammation in the tendon or tendonitis. It is not likely to be due to arthritis. You need to take anti inflammatory medicines and do a hot fomentation for symptomatic relief.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Wed, 12 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor