Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Tennis elbow, immense pain causing difficulty in folding the hand, no improvement with medicines, injection

Dear sir, I have pain in my left hand elbow from last 7-8months. I had taken treatment in some hospital and dr. told me that there is some problem in my tenis elbow. They has given me medicine and one of those dr. had given injection too but the problem was not rectified. nowadays the pain is uincreasing and even i can not fold my hand due to this pain. Please help me sir.
Mon, 18 Jun 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Since severe Tennis Elbow is an inflammatory condition, the obvious treatment would be a short course of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDs), prescribed by a doctor. Anti-Inflammatory Gel can also be helpful to relieve Tennis Elbow pain. Some doctors may even inject the affected area with a corticosteroid (a naturally occurring substance which can settle down inflammation).
Ice Packs are a cheap and effective treatment for Tennis Elbow, applied for ten minutes every couple of hours (never apply ice directly to the skin). 
In addition to anti inflammatory treatments,  the patient should rest from aggravating activities for around two weeks to allow the inflammation to settle down. If it's not possible to rest completely then a Compression Strap (elbow support) is very effective at reducing the stress on the painful area, whilst allowing the user to continue with activities. 

Once the severe elbow pain has subsided rehabilitation under the supervision of a  Physiotherapist can cure the problem and prevent a recurrence. A progressive strengthening programme using Resistance Bands has been shown to be the best long term approach to Tennis Elbow.

In some cases of Tennis Elbow, conservative treatment can prove ineffective. This usually occurs in very longstanding cases, where the pain has been present for more than six months. In these cases, the inflammatory nature of the condition gives way to a chronic degeneration of the tendons of the extensor muscles.
 In these chronic, degenerative cases, where conservative treatment has not helped, then an orthopaedic surgeon may consider surgery to cure the problem.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor