Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Tenderness behind ear, found painful lumps. What could this be?

I am 39 years old and of good health. No current colds etc. 3 days ago I noticed some tenderness behind my ear which has suddenly sprouted into 2 hard, painful lumps , one marble size the other pea sized. Very tender to touch and tender when I stretch my neck at all. They are not coloured and dont look red but feel warm to touch. I have never had acne or other skin complaints at all.
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  51
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

I am an ENT consultant and let me tell you that many of my patients have the kind of swelling you mentioned without any problems whatsoever. And they usually disappear in a week or two.

But any mass or swelling has to be properly examined by the ENT and only then we can be perfectly sure that you are fine.

So consult an ENT, ask for a proper examination and maybe request for a FNAC or biopsy to confirm the diagnosis

If needed then start a course of antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications as a first attempt to reduce the swelling in consultation with the doctor

take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan
ps: even scalp lesions can cause swellings like this which can be confirmed by the ENT
Answered: Thu, 22 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor