Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Teething in kids, has runny nose, puss like stuff coming from eyes. Is it due to allergy or teething?

my son is 8 months old. He is teething ,but he also has runny nose watery and puss looking stuff coming out of his eyes. He is also caughing, running a low fever during the day and higher at night. He is also very fussy. I took him to his doctor yesterday and he said it was all related to teething. I have never heard that teething causes all these things. This has been going on for about a week. I thought it was allergies but my husband came home sick today and my other child is not feeling that well. Do you think I should get a second opinion?
Mon, 25 Jun 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
With out commenting on others opinion let me say the following. In general if more than one family member is affected then it is most probably viral in nature. Again in a child more than one system, in your child respiratory and eyes,are affected means it is viral. The first outcome of this answer is your child need not be given antibitoics. Running nose means the nose is washing the viruses from the upper respiratory tract and cough means from the lower respiratory tract. you watch for the following 10things. 1. thick and yellow nasal discharge for more than 10 days 2.nose tip redness. 3. ear pain. 4. Neck glands becoming bigger 5. severe continious cough. 6. wheeze 7. Fever more than 103 8. not sleeping and 9. not feeding well including fluids and 10. Not at all active. In such conditions second opinion is a must. For the time being give paracetamol and saline nasal drops. Small frequent fluid diet is must
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pulmonologist Dr. Arnab Maji's  Response
hi nicole
thanks for ur query
ur query suggest to take a more detailed investigation u need to have
both ur hubby and ur another child have problem
is there any common source to it???????????
food allergy or other exposure to allergen may be a probability
u should have following test for ur son ---
1. serum eosinophil count
2. serum total IgE level
3. skin allergy testing
ur son may take levocetrizine or cetrizine syrup
take a 2nd opinion
thank u
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor