Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Teeth broken, experiencing pain. Done capping. What can be done?

when i was 13yr old my front teeth was am freinds suggest me dat 2 fix capping,otherwise it may lead to some infectn r blackenining of teeth/loss of dat so,,,but till now i did not xperiance any pain,,,so kindly advice me whether to put cap/crowning...if i undergo capping process what wil b the result
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013
Answers:  9 Views:  76
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM forum,
As your teeth was broken and its asymptomatic, so you need to consult a dentist for radiographical examination done.
In such cases root canal treatment is advised which is followed by crown placement.
Take care
Answered: Sat, 27 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

There are more chances of developing infections and sensitivity in broken teeth and even it is aesthetically unpleasent.

I would suggest you to concern a Dentist get clinical evaluation and x-ray done , accordingly go for Root canal treatment of the tooth, followed by the placement of prosthetic crown.
The tooth becomes brittle and weak and it cannot withstand the biting forces so it is necessary to place a crown .

Maintain a good oral hygiene

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Sat, 6 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sonia Nayab's  Response
hi sowmya
thanks for asking your query.

trauma to tooth might lead to pulpal necrosis causing discoloration of tooth.
capping/root canal of tooth in such case depends on the severity of trauma and amount of tooth structure lost.
If only enamel is chipped of then it can be restored by white filling material
if the crown of tooth has larger portion break off,it is likely to cause the dentine to become sensitive to hot and cold so it should be filled by composite or fitting of the venner restoration
a major break in crown can expose nerve and blood vessels,causing pulpal necrosis,this should be root treated and then capping is done.

Answered: Sun, 7 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Palvi 's  Response
thanks for the query...
well yes... you should go for its treatment because it can cause infection and can cause bone loss apically also...
treatment will depend upon the amount of tooth lost and the condition of tooth also....
if the pulp of the broken tooth is not involved, it will require simple restorations...
if pulp is involved, RCT is required after proper radiographic analysis... after that you should go for post and core and capping of your tooth...
hope it will help you...
take care...
Answered: Sun, 28 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

It is good idea to go for cosmetic correction of teeth even if you do not experience any pain as it is your front teeth.

now the first thing that You should know is whether your tooth is vital or non vital.

As it has remained all these years symptoms free that means your teeth is vital. In this case mere cosmetic built up will help you a lot.

alternatively, if required you can go for prosthetic crown too for your teeth.

A visit to the dentist will give you exact picture of your tooth.

In any case, if the tooth has suffered heavy trauma and is non vital then you will have to go for root canal followed by prosthetic crown.

but do not worry, in either case your front teeth can be beautifully saved.

hope it helps.


take care.
Answered: Mon, 8 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome,
Since your front teeth is fractured,the chance of dentin sensitivity and thereby occurence of periapical infection is high.
Capping the tooth will help to protect and cover the tooth.
Also an x-ray of the tooth will help to diagnose any periapical infection underlying.
Maintain good oral hygiene.
Use soft-interdental toothbrush to clean your teeth.
Also get scaling done.
Take care.
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Prachi Mishra's  Response
pleasure to answer your query on HCM,
your friends are right. you must have broken your tooth by an accident that means it was hurt and its pulp was damaged and if you did not take any treatment at that time then the pulp will definitely make your tooth turn black. before going for crown or cap you get an x ray done for the tooth. and consult a dentist. a root canal treatment has to be done in your tooth. then after permanent cap will be given that will restore your tooth completely and make it look like original.............
hope it helps
take care...
Answered: Sat, 27 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Souranjita Chattopadhyaya's  Response

Welcome to HCM,

At first proper dental X-ray is required to see whats the condition...

There are 2 possibilites..first--If it involved upto enamel,and to some extent dentin for that restoration can be done and Second--If it involved pulp then root canal treatment is required for you...treatment plan is depending on your x-ray....

If root canal has to be done then prosthetic crown is required over it otherwise there will be chance of breakage....

Visit Dentist and get the proper treatment done...

Wish you good health...

Answered: Sat, 27 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.
As you have broken front teeth and if the pulp is exposed you have to get an RCT done and further for capping, as after RCT tooth becomes brittle and can break easily.
If pulp is not exposed then you can go for composite build up.
Viit the dentist, get an x-ray done and plan your treatment according to that.
Hope this helps you
Wishing you good health...
Answered: Sun, 7 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor