Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Tear between L4-5, have unbearable pain. What is the procedure involved in surgery?

I was told a month ago I have a tear between L4 and L5, my doctor said he wants it to heal on its own but I ve had this since 08 and getting worse. I have been on pain killers I m sick of due to not eating and sleeping. Plus they don t even help anymore. He told me surgery would be our last resort but I can t deal with the pain anymore ..I was wonder what would be the process and everything that goes along with this kind of surgery and the percentage of this actually helping me.
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  17
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014

Thanks for writing in.

Tear can develop in the disc, causing the disc material to rupture into spinal column.

Before proceeding to surgery you have to get a MRI done and be completely sure.

You can go for less invasive procedure i.e. laser surgery.

You can consult your doctor for better.

Hope I have answered your query.

Answered: Mon, 8 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor