Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Taking metrogyl and kefpod for PCOD. Trying to conceive. Had abortion in the past. Do I have to finish the treatment to get pregnant?

Hello Doctor! I,m 24 years, married 2 years back,height and weight are 5.1, 61 kgs. A year back, I conceived and got aborted in 2 months without cardiac activity. I,m trying to conceive now. Went for a check up last month and found that I ve PCOD problem. Since I ve tiny follicles doctor advised me to take medicines for three months. Medicines she prescribed are metrogyl 200, Kefpod 200 mg, Glycomet and Lacto B capsules. My quetion is whether i can conceive during the course of treatment? or should i need to wait for the completion of 3 months of treatment?
Asked On : Thu, 9 Aug 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  106
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response
Firstly, I do not think you were given metrogyl and kefpod (cefpodoxime-an antibiotic) for treating your PCOD. Glycomet (metformin) is indeed used for treatment of PCOD. As per your height you are overweight. A natural pregnancy indicates that you are ovulating. You did not mention your menstrual history. Abortion after 2 months without fetal heart beat indicates abnormal fetal development or a missed abortion which could be due to insufficient progesterone level that is characteristic of PCOD. I advice you to wait until the completion of treatment as you are on metrogyl and kefpod. Yet, the discretion lies with your doctor. Good luck.
Answered: Thu, 9 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma's  Response

Welcome to HCM,

Patients suffering with Poly cystic ovarian disease have multiple small cysts in their ovaries.

Ovaries become enlarged and produce excessive amount of estrogen and androgen hormones.

Absence of ovulation causes infertility.

Many patients with PCOD also have insulin resistance and have raised level of insulin.

These patients may not respond to clomiphen, thus treated with anti diabetic drugs like metformin and troglitazone.

Clomiphen is used to stimulate ovulation. Low doses of dexamethasone can be given simultaneously to suppress androgen production from adrenal gland.

If clomiphen doesn't work, a new anti-estrogen called Letrozole can be used.

Clomifen resistant women suffering with PCOD, may need HMG(gonadotrophis) to induce ovulation.

Difficult patients may require a combination of GnRH analog and HMG to induce ovulation successfully.

Kefpod and metrogyl are probably prescribed to you, to treat infection. You have to take these for a limited prescribed period only.

Glycomet in an anti diabetic drug, which contains metformin.

This can improve your fertility by reversing endocrine abnormality and improving your ovulatory response.

Thus you can conceive, provided ovulation occurs during treatment and you have sex around ovulation day.

Thanks for trusting Healthcaremagic and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, you can submit those with Healthcaremagic as well.

With good wishes,
Answered: Thu, 9 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor