Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Taking medication for high BP. Pinching feeling in upper shoulder, chest. Medical attention required?

I m a 33 year old female. I have a history of high blood pressure and take medication . I have been feeling a pinching/pulling in my left upper shoulder/chest when I bend over. It don t happen all the time but since Thursday has happened daily. I m scared of having a heart attack or stroke due to family/friends who suffered from both. Should I seek medical attention?
Asked On : Thu, 14 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The fact that the pain is occurring as you bend over and is a pulling sensation makes it less likely to be heart related pain.The fact that it is occurring with a particular movement means that it is more likely to be related to the muscular skeletal system.
Though everyone may have different symptoms, in general cardiac pain is usually central, tight or heavy in nature, worse with activity (not a particular movement but general activity), associated with shortness of breath and palpitations, it may be relieved by rest.

A stroke is normally associated with weakness or abnormal sensation in one half of the body.

You can consider visiting your doctor for assessment of your discomfort. If he or she believes it is musculoskeletal then anti inflammatory pain killers woiuld be likely be suggested.

I hope this helps
Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Akhilesh Dubey's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
You have Hypertension and taking medication for it,your description of pain looks non cardiac but it is prudent to check by ECG to rule out any changes in it.
Once ECG is normal then other possibilities like acid peptic disorder or muscular pain may be there which can be easily treated.
Because you have anxiety so it is even more important to check and relieve your anxiety.
Later on if ECG is normal any significant IHD may be ruled by TMT.
If there is any doubt Physician may ask for getting Trop I and depending on result may be coronary angiography.
Hope every thing comes fine and then just manage your BP and maintain healthy life style.
Take care
Good Luck.
Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor