Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Taking isotrion. Skin feels sensitive, outbreak of acne, dry lips. What to do?


My doctor prescribed to me at first, Isotrion 10 which was helpful, but then advised me to take Isotroin 20. No my skin feels extremely sensitive and there is an outbreak of acne around my mouth. My lips are also dry and I feel dehydrated easily. I have some kind of wound on the corner of my lips. Please advice me on what to do.
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  58
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
The problem that you are facing is a common one,,,and is seen in many patients who are prescribed Isotretinoin for acne,,,,and it is called retinoid dermatitis...But first of all, i would like to assure you that it is nothing to be worried about,,,,Your doctor must have assessed your skin condition and prescribed isotretinoin according to the severity of your problem,,,,so you can continue with the medicine without any doubt,,,
The problem usually begins after some days of treatment with dryness which is followed by some fine scaling. In the more severely affected patients, the scaling gets worse and fissuring develops and this is what is occuring in your case....Dryness is seen in most of the patients who are prescribed isotretinoin,,,and it is very beneficial for acne prone skin,,,infact, it is one of the mechanisms by which the drug acts....
So all that you need to do is to moisturize your skin,,,Use some Oil free moisturisers or you can apply little bit oil over skin once a day...But remember not to over moisturise,,,,For your lips, use adequate moisturisation in the form of lip balms, petroleum jelly....and use a sunscreen before going out in sun over your face regularly as any type of eczema leads to irritation on exposure to sunlight...
If inspite of all these measures,,you feel that the irritation is increasing or is persistent..,then you should consult your dermatologist...

Hope it helps
Dr Geetika Paul
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor