Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Taking Enelapril and birth control. How do I know I should still be taking medicine?

I am currently taking enelapril and had a reading about 5 yrs ago of 200/210, My readings now are low 150/90. How do I know that I should still be on this drug for my Blood pressure? Will a blood test tell the psysician what drug is best and if I should continue or switch? I also take a injection for Birth control. I think a hysterectomy is in my future, should I seek the council of a Endocronologist for my hormone readings and suggestions on what I should be doing for myself in the future ? Depo now for 5years.
Asked On : Thu, 25 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  12
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello, and thank you for posting on Healthcare Magic!

It sounds like your blood pressure was quite high! I'm glad to hear that it has gotten better. High blood pressure (known as hypertension) is in most cases a chronic disease. This does not mean that you are doomed to take medication to control your blood pressure forever, but it does mean that unless you make major changes to your lifestyle (such as losing weight, stopping smoking and alcohol, not eating salt) that it is unlikely to go away. So the fact that your blood pressure is better is encouraging, but definitely does not mean you should stop your medicine. In fact, 150/90 is still considered "uncontrolled hypertension", meaning that your blood pressure is at an unsafe, high level.

There is no blood test that will tell your doctor which medicine is best to control your blood pressure. These decisions are made based on what other health problems you have, your drug allergies, your age, your ethnicity, etc.

I'm a little confused about the question regarding a possible future hysterectomy. However, for any problems/questions of this nature, the correct doctor to ask would be either your primary care doctor, or an obstetrician/gynecologist. Endocrinologists rarely deal with questions related to birth control and menopause.

I hope I have given you some useful information, and wish you the best of health.


Dr. Kinney
Answered: Thu, 25 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor