Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Taking Amitriptyline for mental illness. Excessive alcohol consumption. Is this dangerous?

Hi, I have a friend visiting (known each other since age 14) from the US (I m in UK) who is aged 46. She has a history of mental problems. I note she has been prescribed amitriptyline to take at bedtime (10mg) I believe. She is drinking an unbelieveable amount of alcohol (I am convinced she is an alcoholic) and everything I read about this drug says do not drink. She is here with her children, aged 12 and 10, and her mother, aged 71. They are renting a car and she is driving. Everything I read says this is not a good situation. She is only here until 17th July. I have been wondering what to do. I think her US doctor doesn t know she drinks like she does. Any ideas? Thank you, D
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  62
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Combining alcohol with amitryptiline can sometimes be fatal, can cause seizure. though 10 mg of amitryptiline is too low to cause such problems, but what happens to such patients is that under alcohol influence they are likely to take amitryptiline overdose

You must take to a deaddiction centre / psychiatrist and report this to your doctor

handling the psychosocial problems that you are referring to will help, in addition
Answered: Mon, 15 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor